lost the GNOME panel, how do I get it back?

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Sat Aug 16 17:49:39 UTC 2003

>HOW do I get back the default panel?

Have you tried running gnome-panel from a terminal,  to get a fresh
panel? Did you have gnome setup to autosave session on logout? I've
found that that autosave session on logout feature can be a little
counter-intutive if you have a problem severe enough to segfault out a
program you normally expect to be running like gnome-panel or nautilus.
It seems the autosave session on logout does its job too well and
notices the fact that a something like gnome-panel isn't running and so
saves the session state that way.  So with autosave session on logout
enabled...you can't just use a logout/login trick to recover if
something segfaults out or whatever.  I'd imagine from a non-technical
user perspective this would be extremely frustrating..you dont know why
something stopped working...you logout and login again..and its still
not working...sometimes becuase that autosave feature is enable...so a
program just isnt started.

If there was some way for autosave session to know the difference when a
program was disabled by a user or stopped working because of some
unknown error...and would not autosave some session state info if it
noticed an error..that would be good...but thats probably not so easy to
implement.

-jef