rpm segfaulting

Leonard den Ottolander leonardjo at hetnet.nl
Mon Aug 18 21:34:29 UTC 2003

Hi,

 I couldn't install Severn on a Cyrix P166 (installer fails after package
selection), so I installed 7.3. From this system I did

mkdir -p /mnt/hda5/var/lib/rpm
rpm --root /mnt/hda5 -iv $(cat packs)

 to install the selected Severn rpm's listed in packs. Of course I edited
/etc/fstab and set a root password for the new system.

 This worked quite well, except for a little problem when installing the
kernel. /sbin/mkkerneldoth failed on rpm -q
kernel$KERNEL_TYPE/$KERNEL_RELEASE.

 As it turns out on the newly created system I can't use rpm at all. Either
it segfaults or the task is terminated because it's considered a non-exec
exploit attempt. (There are no __db* files in /var/lib/rpm. I also repeated
the above procedure to create a 7.3 system and I see no problems there.)

 I am not sure whether this is caused by the fact that I used rpm provided
with RH 7.3 (4.0.4-7x.18 (not yet updated this sys)) to install Severn, or
whether I actually hit a bug (anything to do with the cpu I am using?).

Bye,
Leonard.

--
How clean is a war when you shoot around nukelar waste?
Stop the use of depleted uranium ammo!