'Fn key' and ACPI on dell laptops

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Tue Aug 19 14:02:49 UTC 2003

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 10:05:31AM +0200, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 04:30:22PM -0400, Michael K. Johnson wrote:
> > In addition, 2.4 ACPI just doesn't do suspend to disk, regardless
> > of whether acpid is informed of button presses...
>
> I had never thought about it, but you mean that to allow the bios setup
> screens to come up during an X session something like 'suspend to memory'
> had to be invoked first.

No, I mean that when ACPI initializes, APM services are explicitly
disabled.  Otherwise the machine would not comply with the ACPI
standard.  You can't both have ACPI and APM suspend the machine.
If ACPI is enabled, the button press MUST be processed by ACPI;
it cannot be processed by APM, and if ACPI doesn't process it, it
can't be processed.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/