Severn Beta2

Rik van Riel riel at redhat.com
Wed Aug 20 03:46:31 UTC 2003

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Thiago Vinhas de Moraes wrote:

> I don´t think that RedHat should worry about Ximian. RedHat cannot be
> responsible for other company´s packages.

The upgrade trouble fit right in with the idea of 3rd
party repositories.  I hope that once Severn is done
the developers will invest some time in making an easy
"mini buildsystem" available (in one RPM?) that helps
people rebuild their 3rd party RPMs against the current
distribution, making it easier to have library versions
and other things match.

Once that is in place, using 3rd party repositories
should be less painful.  Of course, this assumes that
the "mini buildsystem" is being used by the people who
maintain the package repositories...