Minimal Install - alternative view

Bill Anderson bill at noreboots.com
Thu Aug 21 18:57:01 UTC 2003

OK, so people are fighting the idea of a minimal option. WHy not get rid
of it then?

Core seems pretty basic. Why not then add groups like the following:

 * Corporate Firewall
 * Home/Small Business Firewall

Put KRB in the Corporate Firewall, put DHCP/PPP/friends in the Home/SB
Firewall. Put SSH in the home and a config rpm that installs a "listen
on internal network only" sshd config. After all, we have a
caching-nameserver config rpm. :)

Leave ssh as an option in both so it can be deselected in each.

The big complaint I've heard/had is not just that all these things are
there, but that you can't deselect them w/o  going through every single
package, and hoping you got the dependencies right as mentioned earlier.
Even making a large portion of the packages I noted optional during
install would be a decent step.

Of the couple dozen packages or so I listed, only the following have
been challenged so far (IIRC):

pam_krb
wget
dhclient
<ssh>

I'd say that is a small amount compared to the list. :) That would mean
to me we are (so far) in general agreement about most of the proposed
changes. After all I proposed ~20 removals and only three were opposed
so far.

If there is interest in this type of arrangement, I could work on more
details for it.

--
Bill Anderson
RHCE #807302597505773