Galeon Request

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Sun Aug 24 20:05:14 UTC 2003

nazeman wrote:
>I have a request. I have tested epiphany (the futur redhat default
>browser) and the bookmark tools is totaly inusable. example:

As another rabid galeon fan to another....
snowball's chance in hell that Red Hat is going to put galeon back into
the core rhl distro, before the switch over to a robust community based
development process.  And even then...I'd be amazed if rhl added galeon
back in. And even though i LOVE galeon, I think I understand the bigger
picture well enough to know that galeon's superior featuritis is not the
point. Epiphany is going to be the default gnome browser going forward,
epiphany is trying to follow important gnome policy decisions like the
hig....galeon isn't...that difference is important, when the overall
goal of the distro is to provide a smooth integrated graphical desktop
experience for the majority of computer users.

I know I'm in the 0.00001% of the idiot-savant of computer users, I
don't expect the default applications to cater to my specific needs. I
also don't expect Red Hat to attempt to use their limited resources to
provide 87 different applications that try to do the same thing, but
cater to different segments of the userbase.   If HIG compliant
application development is an important goal for core application
choices...then galeon isn't going to be a core app.  But hopefully
galeon will continue to be available through community based addon
repositories like fedora and freshrpms...and as rhl moves towards
community friendly/community sponsered development....it really won't
matter if galeon is in core rhl, because it will be point and click easy
to interact with community repositories full of goodies like galeon. And
if the repo maintainers are really clever...they will make it easy to
pull iso images of repositories on something like a quarterly basis...so
you can have addon iso images to use when using rhl install isos.

If epiphany's bookmark tools are un-useful...then you should probably
get invovled upstream with the gnome development people and hammer out
something that provides a better balance of functionality and
simplicity.

-jef"bring back oneko!!!!!!"spaleta