reinstalling grub

Féliciano Matias feliciano.matias at free.fr
Mon Aug 25 12:10:47 UTC 2003

Le lun 25/08/2003 à 13:43, Louis Garcia a écrit :
> I had to reinstall windows and it override the MBR. How do I reinstall
> grub on the MBR?

It's not easy.
First, boot from the cd1. Enter "linux rescue" at the lilo prompt.
This will mount the root partition to /mnt/sysimage (or something like).
Mount /boot partition to /mnt/sysimage/boot :
mount -t ext3 /dev/hda? /mnt/sysimage/boot

Disable exec-shield :
echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield

Run grub-install. For example :
grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/sysimage /dev/hda

Take this pieces of advices very carefully ! Backup /boot partition.

Grub documentation :
http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub/html_node/index.html
Grub-install :
http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub/html_node/Installing-GRUB-using-grub-install.html#Installing%20GRUB%20using%20grub-install