Wine and Office

HoytDuff hoyt at cavtel.net
Mon Aug 25 14:46:36 UTC 2003

On Monday 25 August 2003 07:18 am, Jim Cornette wrote:
> HoytDuff wrote:
> > On Sunday 24 August 2003 09:54 pm, Jim Cornette wrote:
> >>Except for Access, what does Office do that Openoffice does not handle.
> >
> > OO can be configured to use mysql in an "Access" kind of way.
>
> I'll have to look into this feature then.
>
> Access is the only thing that Ms office can do that Openoffice does not
> address. (work environment).
>
> If ooffice or some other user configurable database becomes available to
> do lightweight database applications, there becomes my justification for
> not needing MS OSes or programs at work. (Except for the two browser IE
> exclusive programs, locally brewed, minor programs)

Here's a link to a page with a brief description and a link for the PDF file
describing the process.

http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2460

Essentially, Star Office provides the Addabas database to provide this
function, but Addabas is not free. The "front-end" is there in, just not
configured. It would be nice if one of the third-party sources provided a
script to handle the configuration.

--
Hoyt Duff