Wine and Office

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at columbus.rr.com
Tue Aug 26 02:19:10 UTC 2003

HoytDuff wrote:
> On Monday 25 August 2003 07:18 am, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>>HoytDuff wrote:

>>>OO can be configured to use mysql in an "Access" kind of way.
>>
>>I'll have to look into this feature then.
>>
>>Access is the only thing that Ms office can do that Openoffice does not
>>address. (work environment).
>>
>>If ooffice or some other user configurable database becomes available to
>>do lightweight database applications, there becomes my justification for
>>not needing MS OSes or programs at work. (Except for the two browser IE
>>exclusive programs, locally brewed, minor programs)
>

> Here's a link to a page with a brief description and a link for the PDF file
> describing the process.
>
> http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2460
>
> Essentially, Star Office provides the Addabas database to provide this
> function, but Addabas is not free. The "front-end" is there in, just not
> configured. It would be nice if one of the third-party sources provided a
> script to handle the configuration.

I tried addabas when Star Office just started offering a Linux based
version. It was fairly crude and I didn't get much done with the program.

Having a third party database utilize the front-end for ooffice sounds
like a great idea. Integrating it with the ooffice tools might work out
really decent. Exporting tables into the spreadsheet and exporting
reportts into the word proccessor would be valuable additions to the
office program. Throw in email capability and it even sounds better.

I know it is a tough thing to get integrated with different developers
working on different sectors of the project. It seems that the base of
the integration would be to develop some sort of "Hub" program that
translates one project into a compatibility stage with the other
programs. (tables to spreadsheets, reports to documents, mailer to
transport exported products in chosen output). I think that the finished
product would work better than closed software, as long as the main
interface was structured right in the beginning.

I was hoping that rhdb would fill in the lacking feature. hopefully in
integration with ooffice or using lighter weight spreadsheet, word
processors and mailers.

Now to try to integrate my-sql, (never used before) with the front-end
for addabus. I doubt that it will be real productive, but will be
interesting.

Jim

--
In any formula, constants (especially those obtained from handbooks)
are to be treated as variables.