Any current workaround for Radeon/Chromium Segfault? (Bug 101647)

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sun Aug 31 16:11:07 UTC 2003

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, Kevin Sonney wrote:

>Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 08:38:37 -0400
>From: Kevin Sonney <ksonney at redhat.com>
>To: rhl-beta-list at redhat.com
>Subject: Re: Any current workaround for Radeon/Chromium Segfault? (Bug
>    101647)
>
>Steve Bergman <steve at rueb.com> writes:
>
>> glxgears works fine and is properly hardware accelerated.  However,
>> anything more complex (chromium, tuxracer, rune, quakeforge, RTCW)
>> crashes as described in the bug with similar messages.
>
>Works fine on my Severn systems with a Radeon 9200se. Did you remove
>*ALL* NVidia files? FWIW, I've had issues with leftover files from the
>NVidia drivers. In the past I've had to uninstall the NVidia drivers,
>then go back and manually make sure that the original GL libraries are
>properly re-installed.

Yes, this is very irritating.  Nvidia's drivers just blow away
Red Hat supplied files without any care.  If you are using
Nvidia's drivers and switch back to our drivers, or switch video
cards or something, before you configure X, be sure to run:

rpm -V $(rpm -qa | grep XFree86)

This verifies the integrity of all of the files we supply.  I
think in the future, I might modify the X server itself to verify
that the files we ship are what is being used, and if anything is
modified, to allow it, but to make a note of it in the config
file so that users at least have a random chance of fixing the
problems caused by the files getting blown away.

Not sure how else to handle these types of problems.  I'm going
to try to come up with some solution for the future though.
Perhaps predetermined vendor directories that are configurable
overrides or something.