Fedora Core 1 AMD 64 Preview update.

mbest at pendragon.org mbest at pendragon.org
Mon Dec 1 19:08:15 UTC 2003

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Tru Huynh wrote:

> You probably have both 32 and 64 bit glibc installed.
> Or at least that were the symptoms I had while rebuilding RHEL3.

That seems to be the case.

I couldn't reinstall the packages as I installed via the network.

Login wasn't working in runlevel 3.  And I didn't seem to be having any
luck with mount for NFS or ssh (which needed libraries as well).  My quick
solution seemed to get me up and running the quickest:

I added /usr/lib64 /usr/lib /lib64 /lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and
ran ldconfig

ld.so.conf:
/usr/lib64
/usr/lib
/lib64
/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib64
/usr/lib64/sane
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib64/qt-3.1/lib

These are all the directories called lib64 that I could find:
$ find / -name "lib64" -type d
/usr/lib64
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/lib64
/usr/X11R6/lib64
/usr/X11R6/LessTif/Motif1.2/lib64
/usr/local/lib64
/lib64

I don't know what the best practice should be in this case whether this is
an installer problem (it should install them in the right order) or if
when you install the compatibility libs that it should modify ld.so.conf
as you might add the 32-bit compat libs later when you need it.

-Mike