Problems with IDE controller (sporadic) with the Fedora Kernel

Kyon kyon at verizon.net
Sat Dec 6 19:32:24 UTC 2003

Folks,

	I have installed the fedora system on my girls computer, and have found that
when I boot into the kernel from that system, I will get a system crash with
the ide controller unable to write/read from the disk.  This will happen not
immediately, but after a few hours of operation.  The one thing that may have
occured is that the screen saver may have come on, I will find this after I
come back to the system after it's been idle for a while (maybe there's a
power saving ide suspend command that gets called when the system is idle)

The system will NOT do this with the standard 9 kernel (and has been up and
'stable' for quite a while ~1.5yrs).  The offending kernel is
 2.4.21-20.1.2024.2.1.nptl

and the reliable kernel is 2.4.20 (from a tar file, the Fedora core has
helpfully removed all my previous kernels, I so notice now that I check).  I
did the config on this kernel tree on Feb 28, 2003, but I can't place it any
more clearly in the kernel pantheon.

The system is an ASUS A7S333 motherboard, and the portion of dmesg relevant to
the ide is

hda: WDC WD800JB-00DUA0, ATA DISK drive
blk: queue c0400040, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
hdc: TDK CDRW241040X, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: attached ide-disk driver.
hda: host protected area => 1
hda: 156301488 sectors (80026 MB) w/8192KiB Cache, CHS=9729/255/63, UDMA(100)

(i.e. a Western digital 80GB drive , in UDMA(100) mode. )

I also have the cdrom using ide-scsi, if that has any relevance.

Am I alone in this problem, or are there other folks with this strange ide
problem?

--
Kyon