arjanv/2.5 device-mapper lvm2

Joe Orton jorton at redhat.com
Tue Dec 9 21:19:57 UTC 2003

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 11:58:23AM -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 08:36, Neal D. Becker wrote:
> > Cool!
> >
> > So, how do I use it?  I currently have fedora1 installed on lvm1/raid
> > (stripped).  Boot is ext3, but root is lvm1.
> >
> > Is there a way to run 2.5 directly, or do I need to backup and re-install?
>
> There's not an easy way to transition yet -- I need to add support to
> mkinitrd to realize that you are using LVM and are moving to a 2.6
> kernel.  It's just going to require a little bit of restructuring to do
> so.  I'm traveling this week, but will hopefully manage to get it done
> anyway.
>
> You should be able to do it by hand if you have all of the packages
> (including the mkinitrd Arjan just put up there) and then edit
> /sbin/mkinitrd so that it forces root_lvm2 to be 1 :)

I tried this on my FC1 system with a lvm rootfs, challenges were:

1. lvm2 conflicts with lvm; I gave up and copy and pasted the stuff
into the initrd to get a kernel which booted into rc.sysinit

2. rc.sysinit fails in fsck unable to find the device:

fsck.ext3: No such device or address while trying to open /dev/mainvg/rootfs
Possibly non-existent or swap device?

I wasn't sure how to fix that (initscripts-4.73).

(doing a telinit 2 from the "repair" shell brought the system up okish)

joe