fc1_x86_64 preview on tyan thunder k8w (S2885ANRF REV .03)

Justin M. Forbes 64bit_fedora at comcast.net
Wed Dec 10 16:35:37 UTC 2003

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 11:18:50AM -0500, Rob Myers wrote:

> second, AMD-8111 IDE has dma timeouts if acpi is enabled.  is this a
> known issue?

ACPI is a known issue with most NF3 systems, and it seems some of the AMD
chipset based.  I have been talking to AMD on this, and they specifically
mention Tyan as having issues which were fixed with a bios upgrade.  I will
see if I can get more info on it.

> - the onboard broadcom 5703 based gigabit does not work properly with
> tg3, but broadcom 5701 based 3Com 3C996B-T does work properly with tg3.
Not sure on this, will check to see what driver if any supports this nic.

> - the onboard sil SATA controller does not work
This is a known issue, and being addressed, but might not be ready in time
for FC1.

> - kernel-smp-2.6.0-0.test11.1.100.x86_64.rpm from
> http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.5/RPMS.kernel does not boot, just
> oopses to the console.

The 2.6test kernels have some known issues with AMD64.  These are being
addressed, and active patches are available, but have not been merged with
mainline yet.  This should be fixed soon I hope.

I will work on an FAQ and put that up tonight.  As for the memory issues, I
am not entirely sure, but you are not the first to report this.  I will
look into it as I can, but I unfortunately do not have this much memory in
any of my systems, and to buy it might end in divorce at this point :). I
am working with AMD to try to get access to the developer labs, and
hopefully this will help address some of these issues.

Justin