What does REDHAT recomend for 3D video card?

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Fri Dec 12 16:56:23 UTC 2003

On Thursday 11 December 2003 21:34, Stephan Schutter wrote:
> I have seen the X screen savers freeze my PC (open GL ones)... Perhaps
> it is my card? Any way, I was wondering what if redhat were to select a
> system to deploy Fedora on; what would it be? Does Linux like asus
> better than Abit or NVidia better than ... and so on... what works
> really well?

I have good luck with ATI adapters and, if it is not a bleeding edge card,
there is an open source version of the driver.

However, I have also had hard freezes with some of the GL screensavers.  It is
very difficult to figure out just which one has the problem (causes the
freeze).  However, a year of more ago I spent some time trying to identify
the screen savers which had problems ... running them one at a time in
preview mode.  One of the things I found out is that some of these screen
savers work OK for a while but then do a freeze when some unexpected
corner-case occurs.
--
Gene