missing drivers in 2.6.0 kernel

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Sun Dec 21 16:36:34 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-21 at 08:58, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Paul wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> >>Are i810_audio and emu10k1 sound drivers built into the kernel 2.6?
> >

> > No. And I can't get them to work on the box at work either as either
> > built in or as a module :-(

Welcome to rawhide. The GUI tools haven't been updated for 2.6, so using
them isn't going to get you very far.

In 2.6, there are two sets of sound drivers, the old OSS implementation
from 2.4, and the new ALSA implementation. In this specific case, the
i810_audio driver is the OSS driver, and should work just as well as it
did in 2.4 (I manually modprobed it on my IBM T30 and then turned the
volume up with aumix, and it worked just fine). However, ALSA seems to
be the default, so here's how to set that up by hand:

1. You probably want to have alsa-libs and alsa-utils installed out of
rawhide, just in the event you want to tune your sound a little tighter
or do something more complicated than described here.

2. Add the following to /etc/modprobe.conf:

alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

(note to Bill, the alias for char-major-116 should really be in
/etc/modprobe.conf.dist)

3. You can either reboot or manually modprobe the drivers at this point
(modprobe snd && modprobe snd-intel8x0).

4. ALSA drivers initialize with the audio channels muted, so just run
aumix (the snd-oss-mixer driver autoloaded lets us do this) and turn the
Volume, PCM, and Speaker settings up to where you're comfy. Then open
xmms and play your favorite ogg file. :)

ALSA has pretty good documentation for this process (albeit, specific to
2.4) on their website, the links are below. You won't need to worry
about compiling the utils, libs, or kernel drivers, and several of the
module alias definitions are already defined in /etc/modprobe.conf.dist
(and remember, all 2.6 module aliases go in /etc/modprobe.conf, *NOT*
/etc/modules.conf). If you s/modules.conf/modprobe.conf, then you've got
the 2.6 instructions.

i810 specific instructions:
http://alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Intel&card=i820&chip=i820&module=intel8x0

choose soundcard by manufacturer for specific instructions:
http://alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/

This works like a charm for me on my IBM T30.

hth,

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa(a)redhat*com> LCA, RHCE
Red Hat Sales Engineer || Aurora SPARC Linux Project Leader

"The author's mathematical treatment of the conception of purpose is
novel and highly ingenious, but heretical and, so far as the present
social order is concerned, dangerous and potentially subversive. Not to
be published." -- Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World"