Instant Gigahertz NIC Linksys EG1032

Klaasjan Brand kjb at dds.nl
Sat Dec 27 13:48:17 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-12-27 at 14:08, alton bailey wrote:
> I'm  currently upgrading my network to Gigabit data transfer, I install (
> linksys EG1032 ) on my Fedora box and use the installation from the cd that
> comes with the Nic Card and i got an error during the setup. I am using
> Kernel 2.6.0.1.104 and also the original 2.4.22.0.2115 up to 2135
> when I try to setup the NIC with Kernel 2.6.0.1.104 this NIC is not
> supported.

If the driver source code is available it might have been added to 2.6
so you won't need the installation cd. If the driver is a binary with
some wrapper sources to get it to build on most kernels you're out of
luck and have to wait for the vendor to release new drivers (or forget
about it and buy a better supported card with open source drivers)

> and for kernel 2.4.22.0.2115 up to 2135  I got an error too and I include an
> attachment.

Make sure you've got the kernel-source package installed before you try
to build the driver. You'll also want to compile the module with the
same gcc version the kernel is compiled with (gcc32 package).

Klaasjan