Reason for the change

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Tue Jul 22 17:14:59 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 18:03, seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 19:22, Michael K. Johnson wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 06:14:34PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > Red Hat Enterprise Linux, by contrast, has very minimal changes within
> > a release -- one meaning of "stable" that is critical in an enterprise
> > environment.  Obviously they also care about "robust" as well.  Can
> > you imagine an enterprise deploying a new version of a major software
> > component because it is "fresher"?  That would be IS lunacy.  :-)
> >

> depends on what you describe as an 'enterprise'.
> I still haven't heard where university 'enterprises' fit in this grand
> scheme.
>
> I'm beginning to wonder if we(universities) do at all.

Universities do not fit into most templates. Having to support a kind of
university environment.. I am having to split my time between needing
the latest and greatest and also the well-tested and security updates of
a stable release. It burns a lot of my time doing both and I realize how
much it would burn of an outside contracting company. The last point is
that universities do not have the money to pay anyone to do this work
and so end up doing it themselves.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Labrador  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645 (note new #)