Initial impressions

joe joe at tmsusa.com
Tue Jul 22 21:36:53 UTC 2003

Last night I installed the severn beta on my $229 Fry's computer, a
Duron 1100 with sis chipset - (I did add  512 MB RAM and an nvidia
GeForce however).

The install was smooth and quick, and everything was detected. The
choices were a bit more streamlined, and I could not make the fine
grained choices that were possible in earlier versions, but the
"everything" install is still an option and I suppose the kickstart
method can still be used for ultimate customizability...

I was gratified to see postfix v2.0.11 among the updated packages,
that's a big help.

All in all, it looks good - the desktop seems quite snappy at first
glance; I will be trying out multimedia and 2.6 test kernels and will
report back -

Joe