Network install failure

Michael Steele steelmi1 at netsteele.com
Wed Jul 23 21:21:19 UTC 2003

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Matt Whiteley wrote:

> I have tried to use the network install many times.  This is an attempt
> with the .iso files.  Whenever I put them in a web or ftp directory, the
> installer will not find them and pecularly returns to the screen with
> extra slashes in the address box.  Such as cannot find
> http://192.168.1.112//redhat/stage2.img .  I hope this is somewhat close
> as I am taking it from memory.  Am I making some stupid mistake?  What
> is the deal?
>
> thanks,
>
> --
> Matt Whiteley <matt-whiteley at comcast.net>
>

> --

I don't think you can do that.  You first have to mount the .iso images,
and copy the files out of them into your http server.

If I recall correctly, after you've mounted disc 1, you will need to
copy the whole file structure to your webserver's /redhat directory.

For the other CDs you just need to copy all of the .rpm files from the
iso image's /RedHat/RPMS directory into the /redhat/RedHat/RPMS
directory of your web server.

If your web server is another linux box, you can mount the images with
somthing similar to this:

# mkdir /mnt/iso
# mount -o loop -t iso9660 psyche-i386-disc1.iso /mnt/iso

Then:

# cd /mnt/iso
# cp -av * /path-to-document-root/redhat

Then:

# cd; umount /mnt/iso
# mount -o loop -t iso9660 psyche-i386-disc2.iso /mnt/iso
# cd /mnt/iso/RedHat/RPMS
# cp * //path-to-document-root/redhat/RedHat/RPMS

Then do the same for CD 3.

+===============================================+
| N     Michael V. Steele                     M |
| A     UNIX Systems Administrator            S |
| S     Computer Sciences Corporation         F |
| A     NASA/IFMP/MSFC                        C |
|       Red Hat Certified Engineer              |
|       Sun Certified System Administrator      |
|       Cisco Certified Network Associate       |

:wq