IEEE1394 harddrive hangs on bootup after loading SBP2 module

Ben Hsu benhsu at dslextreme.com
Thu Jul 24 06:02:46 UTC 2003

Hello.

I have a ieee1394 hard drive enclosure. When I turn the enclosure on and
boot into Red Hat 9.1 my computer hangs after it loads the sbp2.o
module.

This happened when I booted the installation CD-ROM (MD5 checksums were
good, and the CD-ROM test in the installer itself passed). When I turn
the firewire drive off I was able to install, but I still need to keep
the firewire drive off to boot.

If I boot into my old kernel (stock 2.4.20) it runs okay.

To summarize:

(2.4.21 kernel AND firewire drive on) ==> (no boot from hard disk AND no
boot from CD-ROM)

Has anyone seen this before or does anyone have any idea how to get more
useful information?

Thanks in advance!