modules.conf and new modtils? (broken?)

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Jul 24 14:34:38 UTC 2003

I installed the new modutils packages from Arjan's web page as part of an
attempt to try out 2.6-test on my Vaio U101. The new kernel doesn't work
very smoothly, but that'll get worked out sooner or later. More alarming,
though: suddenly, the sonypi driver didn't work under the *old* kernel.

A bit of investigation shows that when the module loads, the parameters in
/etc/modules.conf are being ignored -- including the very important one
which sets the device minor number. GIving the parameters to insmod
manually works fine. WHat's going on here?