xmms skipping

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Thu Jul 24 13:37:27 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 23:16, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 July 2003 14:32, Maynard Kuona wrote:
> > Also, are there any plans to include the preemptive kernel patch. I
> > wish they could give us a number of kernels to choose from. I hat
> > having my audio skipping. It is the thing that annoys me the most
> > about my RH linux installs.
>
> Search the archives.  It's not a kernel thing IIRC, it's a XFree86 being
> niced problem, and thus not having high priority or something like
> that.  I do believe workarounds were discussed.

AFAIK, in RH8 X was reniced to -10 by default.  In RH9 it wasn't.  I
suppose this is what you refer to.  People tell me though that the
renicing of X itself was a workaround for a scheduler "bug" that should
get solved by the "interactivity" set of patches.

If I'm wrong about this then please put me in my place because I too
hate for my RH desktop to be so damn laggy all the time when it comes to
sound.

Thomas

Dave/Dina : future TV today ! - http://davedina.apestaart.org/
And discover your lover