Bring back configurability in expert mode

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Jul 24 17:48:48 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 13:25, Douglas Stewart wrote:
>  From what I've gathered, the split between rhlp and rhel is one of
> support, namely: corporate customers desire active support on a RedHat
> product, they can invest in RHEL.  If they don't care about support and
> are comfortable performing their own maintenance, they're free to use
> RHLP.  Am I right so far?

That doesn't mean I want to ignore bug reports.  Remember, we're going
for robustness here, which won't happen without fixing bugs :)   And a
lot of people who end up using Red Hat Linux will still report bugs and
appreciate responses and work towards solving their problems.  Without
that, what's the use?

> So, if that's the case, then (while I see your points), I think the
> issues raised by RedHat employees are bunk.  RH isn't going to be
> "supporting" RHLP.  There's no expectation of such.  The calls RH
> support desk employees will be fielding will be from RHEL users only
> (correct?).  And, since it's been admitted that RHEL is similar to, yet
> not exactly the same as the intended RHLP distro, then what's the
> problem?  Leave the dummy installer in RHEL and give those who want the
> "expert" mode exactly what they want in RHLP's installer.

And maintain two installers?  That sounds like a horrible waste of
already limited resources.  I'd rather be able to share the effort and
spend the time I save by only having one installer to work on so that I
can work on other things too.  Especially because installers are boring,
really...  you run them once and that's it.  It's a lot better to have
cool tools to use *after* you've installed :)

Cheers,

Jeremy