custom package selection

Lode Vermeiren lists-rhl-beta at linu.cx
Thu Jul 24 18:17:11 UTC 2003

> > Nooooo! This is the first step to a "insert cd, wait half an hour for
> > install to finish and then spend half your day removing crap you don't
> > need"-approach like Windows XP uses, IMHO.
> >
> > When removing individual package selection, the only option for me is to
> > do a minimal install, and then Yum/apt/... the packages I want.
> >
> > I really think individual package selection is a much needed feature.
>
> You really like going through a list of 1500 packages is fun?  I'd much
> rather have the interesting packages listed in groups in comps and then
> you can select/deselect them in the package selection interface that's
> there.

I'm not that sadistic on myself :)
But for example, when I select the SQL server group, Postgres gets
installed, and I can manually select MySQL via the "details" option, but
I can't deselect Postgresql via the current installation interface. In
several package groups I run into this problem.

> If there are specific packages that are currently marked as mandatory
> (and thus can't be deselected) from groups, file them in bugzilla and
> they'll be evaluated.  This is the better solution.  You really don't
> want to have to care if gal gets installed -- if you're installing
> something that needs gal, you want to get gal installed.  It's as simple
> as that.

Ok, will do.

To be clear: I *do* think the whole user-friendlyfying is a good thing,
but I regret having to trade in fine-tuning functionality.
I know the Windows XP-comparison is exaggerated, but it's usually easier
to explain things by exaggerating :)
When you currently install Windows XP via a OEM cd (don't know how the
retail works), you've got about no choice as to what gets installed, and
end up with games, movie makers, desktop backgrounds and other bloat and
spend hours uninstalling them. I'd hate to see RedHat end up like that.

	Lode

--
mail me at redh at linu.cx .. how more easier can it get?