package/feature request

Lucas Albers admin at cs.montana.edu
Thu Jul 24 19:15:36 UTC 2003

> What think about the following list?
>
> - Samba 3: It is stable for me. AFAIK next release will be RC.

If it's stable for you it doesn't mean anything...You are one person.
You don't get called in at 2:30 in the morning because the samba server
has hosed. I do....blah.

> * Features:
>
> - rpm: add/detect more targets (pentium4, athlon-tbird, ppc604e, ...). I
> can add athlon-tbird, but rpm -i say "incompatible arch". --ignorearch
> solve the problem.

who cares about optimization like this, teh performance diff for compiling
for specific architectures is between 5-10%.
For most cases "It does not matter."
Just recompile the kernel yourself.

> - Up2Date/rhn-applet: add something like "AutoUpdateList " in
> /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date . It will usefull for packages like
> "clamav-signatures-xxx.rpm", "snort-rules-xxx-rpm".

clamav has it's own updater called freshclam.
snort has it's own updater called boinkmesiter or something like that.

--Luke