desktop-printing and kde

Philip Wyett philipwyett at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Jul 25 04:24:33 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 09:37, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 09:07:44PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>
> > Philip Wyett (philipwyett at dsl.pipex.com) said:
> > > I will ask here before bugzilla'ing this.
> > >
> > > Is the Gnome 'desktop-printing' package intended to be kde dependant? I
> > > ask because I am getting kdelibs, kdebase and the i18n-British packages
> > > installed, during my Gnome only installs. :(
> >
> > It currently is using kprinter; there's some talk of it using
> > qtcups instead.
>
> The problem is that qtcups is no longer maintained AIUI, and all the
> other solutions in this area (display a print dialog) seem to have
> dependencies on things we don't ship (yet?).
>
> If anyone knows a good, reasonably dependency-free, application to
> display a print dialog and send stdin to the selected printer, please
> speak up!
>
> <threat>Otherwise I'll hack up a Python one using the pycups thing
> from redhat-config-printer.</threat>
>
> Tim.
> */

Hi,

If this dependency is to be broken - Which I hope it is! I have found
another little problem you will need to deal with at that time. The
'xpdf' launcher icon is one which resides in kdebase:

/usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/48x48/apps/acroread.png

and thus if the 'desktop-printing' dependency is broken and 'kdebase'
not installed, you will not get a launcher icon with xpdf under Gnome.

Regards

Philip Wyett

--

AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) or Yahoo Messenger: PhilipWyett

Email: philipwyett at dsl.pipex.com

Website: http://www.philipwyett.dsl.pipex.com

Public key: http://www.philipwyett.dsl.pipex.com/gpg/public_key.txt