Yum, autoupdate (was: Re: Graphical boot isn't so graphical)

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sun Jul 27 14:42:23 UTC 2003

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, Jos Vos wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 12:03:54AM -0400, Tom Diehl wrote:
>
> > It will not upgrade a kernel. So if you need to upgrade a kernel it will
> > install it along side of the old kernel and adjust the grub.conf to make
> > the new kernel the default. Presently to rm the old kernel you need to do an
> > "rpm -e kernel-2.4.whatever.old.rpm. Seth is working on fixing this but at
> > present using yum to rm the old kernel does not work properly.
>
> Is this all configurable?  Like the "allow-duplicated" in apt-rpm?

I do not think so. I have never used apt-get so I am not sure.

> Same for the grub default action.

I and others have asked Seth to allow different behavior. Seth says he is looking
into it but there are problems doing it if the boot loader is lilo. I think most
people would be happy if it would only work with grub. Especially given that lilo
is going away soon.