2.6.0- test2, getting sound to work?

Mike Martin redtuxxx at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 31 14:36:33 UTC 2003

 --- Gerald Henriksen <ghenriks at rogers.com> wrote: > On Thu, 31 Jul
2003 09:35:34 +0100 (BST), you wrote:

> >I have had some fun with this - so I may be able to help
> >
> >questions
> >
> >1. what soundcard
>
> Soundblaster Live
>
> It works fine with the 2.4 kernel that comes with Severn but 2.6
> just
> results in silence.

what is in /etc/modules.conf and /etc/modprobe.conf
> >2. ISA/PCI
>
> PCI
>
> >3. Alsa or OSS
>
> Good question.  I assume with 2.6 I should be trying ALSA but I
> will
> take whatever will work.

Ok some quick tests

what does lsmod show

if no sound modules are shown try the obvious and do modprobe sb

If you get errors look in /lib/modules/2.6*/kernel/drivers/sound/ (I
think path is right, not at my box) then look for an oss and and alsa
directory and look for a driver that looks possible and try it.

Alsa modules tend to have snd- prefixed to the name of the driver