VNC Installation

jmontleon at promutualgroup.com jmontleon at promutualgroup.com
Thu Jul 31 19:31:40 UTC 2003

----------
It's explained in the release notes. Just pass "vnc" as kernel boot
parameter. The only problem I had with this is that you have to manually
assign an IP address to the system using ifconfig on console #2. I've
already filed a bug in bugzilla on this issue.
----------

I had the same problem.  I stumbled onto another workaround.  If you type
'linux askmethod vnc' rather than 'linux vnc' it will pick up a dhcp
address.

The down side is that you still have to go over to console #2 and do an
'ifconfig' to see what the address is since it was DHCP assigned and I'm
not a savant (idiot yes, savant no...)

So it would be nice if A) it would go through the static/dynamic address
assignment process before starting the VNC server and B) print out the IP
address that it is listening on.  That's just my two ever so worthless
cents.

Jason

This email and any files transmitted with it are intended only for the
person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material.   If you received this email in error, please
contact the sender immediately and delete this email from your system.  If
you are not the named addressee, you should not disseminate, distribute,
print, or copy the email, or take any action in reliance on its contents.