so ... how do i get a graphical boot?

Jack Bowling jbinpg at shaw.ca
Sat Nov 1 02:14:57 UTC 2003

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 10:30:56AM +1000, Dennis Gilmore wrote:

[snip] feeling pedantic this evening.....
> <Quote>
>
> Fedora Core 1 now uses a graphical interface while booting. The graphical boot> screen will appear once the kernel has loaded. Graphical booting is
> controlled by the GRAPHICAL line in the /etc/sysconfig/init file; set it to
> "no" to permanently disable graphical booting. In addition, the parameter
> rhgb must be appended to your bootloader command line.

In the interests of minimizing ambiguity, this should be rewritten as:

"Fedora Core 1 now uses a graphical interface while booting. The
graphical boot screen will appear once the kernel has loaded as long as
the following options have been enabled:
 1) "rhgb" has been appended to your bootloader kernel command line, e.g.,
     title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-20.8)
     root (hd0,0)
     kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-20.8 root=/dev/hda2 ro rhgb
     initrd /initrd-2.4.20-20.8.img
 2) the GRAPHICAL line in your /etc/sysconfig/init has been set to
 "yes",e.g., GRAPHICAL = "yes".

 If you wish to permanently disable graphical boot, set the GRAPHICAL
 line to "no" in /etc/sysconfig/init."

 More wordy but more precise, methinks. Despite this, I think rhgb should be
 set for rhgb by default for the upcoming golden FC1 release. Those who want to
 kill it can read the README and do it for themselves, whereas newbies will
 freak. I generally frown on the dumbing down of linux and I railed
 against rhgb at first but I can see the rationale for attracting
 newbies. I will never use rhgb but many will.

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: jbinpg at shaw.ca

P.S. - yes, I hate LABEL in my bootloader ;))