Delay? Looks bad for Fedora

Oscar A. Valdez oscar.valdez at plastipak.com.sv
Mon Nov 3 23:16:38 UTC 2003

El lun, 03-11-2003 a las 08:57, Mark Hutchinson escribió:
> How many of you that are currently running RH up to version 9 on many servers
> are now planning to move away from RedHat?  I would certainly prefer not to,
> but fedora does not seem like a solid bet.  I pay for RH subscritions and have
> 9 installed on about 60-70 servers, and have purchased the box sets before,
> but I dont like the way Fedora popped up.  Are others going to keep Fedora on
> thier servers?
>
> The move to fedora was a mistake for RedHat.  I understand why they did it,
> but they went too far and discarded loyal users ( some paying some not.
> Perhaps still including a box set would have been a good idea.  Although
> looking through the mailing list, is Fedora up to the task of running on a
> server anymore?  I am not sure.

Gus, I launched a thread titled "RHEL 3.0 or Fedora for a production
environment?" Take a look at the posts under the thread at
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2003-November/thread.html#00037

My conclusion is that Fedora will be a "a complete, general purpose
operating system" (ie, good for servers). With a release out every 6
months, and updates from fedora.redhat.com for only two months after
that, if you want a patched OS you will either have to upgrade every 8
months or so, or get updates after that from the Fedora Legacy Team
(www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraLegacy).
--
Oscar A. Valdez