[Fwd: RH9 --> Fedora]

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Tue Nov 4 16:12:14 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 07:24, Alex F. Evonosky wrote:

> Hello.
>
> As I am a new list member on this list, I apologize if this question
> has been asked.  How is the upgrade to Fedora been using RH9?  Was the
> upgrade pretty seamless or did it requite a full reformat and
> re-install?

Yes, it was pretty seemless for me.  I upgraded to the Test3 and have
been updating daily (or when they were available) on about Oct 15th just
after T3 was available.  I am unable to get the graphical boot feature
to work yet, but that is not a significant issue anyway (since I won't
use it when it does work).

For update, I believe you will not be able to select the packages that
will be installed, rather it simply updates those currently installed,
plus any for dependencies, etc.  If you do not have main distro software
already and want to install it now you'll need to install it manually
from the cds, or use the package installer tool (which isn't a very
effective tool really).

Release might be a different beast for upgrade, but hopefully is
smoother as there were numerous bugs fixed related to install processes.

Andrew Farris <fedora at andrewfarris.com>