RH recommends using Windows?

Tue Nov 4 18:29:27 UTC 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Lorenzo Prince wrote:

> Eric Wood staggered into view and mumbled:
> > http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39117575,00.htm
> > Man, has RH really lost that much confidence in Fedora?
>
> It is a sad day for Linux, and Red Hat in particular.  Everyone knows that operating systems/applications and drivers
> are a chicken-and-egg process.  The more people there are using Linux, the more apps and drivers will become available.
> Ans the more apps and drivers there are, the more people will use Linux.  I have aggreed with everything RH has done up
I agree with you 100%, but let me play devil's advocate:
Redhat: The desktop is now ready for home users, we recommend everyont to
download and install it tomorrow.  It's free, it's wonderfull.. etc.
Bob: Why are these files 600MB?
Sue: What's am ISO?
Rob: How come this CD with the .ISO file on there doesn't boot?
Beavis: It installed ok, but where did my mp3 collection go?
Ron: What's the difference between ext3 and JFS?
Sally: I don't get it, where's Microsoft office?
Matt: It won't let me reinstall marble madness?
Judy: How come my sound doesn't work anymore?
Nathan: How can I open those quicken files?

etc.,etc.

We all know linux is a better operating system, it is newer, faster, and
yet older and more tested, etc.,etc.,etc.  But if we encourage people to
switch that will certainly fail... we just create stigma.

People who just use a few apps will be fine.  People who are true geeks
probably already are using it.  The "Power user" type with 400 shareware
apps installed, and 30 USB gadgets... he might learn to like it, or he
might get frustrated and tell all his friends how much it sucks.

 -- noah silva