RH recommends using Windows?

nosp nosp at xades.com
Tue Nov 4 18:31:24 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 17:59, Lorenzo Prince wrote:
>   Telling people to stay with
> Micros**t Virusware and not to switch to Linux because of the current lack of apps and drivers that the home user is
> expecting is not going to increase the availability of those apps and drivers that home users need.  As a famous
> mistical disembodied voice in the movie "Field of Dreams" once said, "If you build it, shey will come."  So, we must
> keep building Linux for the desktop.  We must also, however, get more people using it, so that more people will help
> build it.

It is definitely dangerous, but then again, I don't think going after
the desktop is a viable business proposition right now.  He should be
honest.  I saw an analyst say that Novell now has an
"enterprise-to-desktop" strategy.  If that's right, what other software
company has succeeded there?  None (sorry, MS does NOT own the
enterprise).  Why will Novell be different?  Umm...Linux?  No, of course
not.

Let the corporate users pay for & improve hardware support for a bit
longer; the great thing is that without them realizing it those
improvements will be passed on to the community (thank you, RedHat +
FAOS/GPL).  When IBM or the German government can't run its Webcast
software cause the hardware vendor hasn't got a linux driver, the vendor
is going to get a lot of pressure.  That's the type of process that is
not finished now but will inexorably grind away at the one competitive
advantage MS has: the stable revenue stream of a massive installed
base.  Increase that installed base -- e.g., by "enterprise"
installations -- and in five years Redhat will be saying the opposite:
Linux is now ready for the desktop.