RH recommends using Windows?

Tue Nov 4 19:51:17 UTC 2003

> I respectfully suggest: you ought to check out hardware compatibility
> before purchasing. There are innumerable sources, including linux
> newsgroups, where you can get this information.

Oh, -I- do.. I am just pointing out that sometimes it is very difficult to
find.  Not everyone can borrow random stuff from their geeky friends like
me either.

> Would you normally buy a car or house, without doing some prior
> 'test drive' or verification of the premises? I used to make that

Of course, but, as an example.  If the iSight works, I would love to have
one, but even google hasn't helped me there, and none of my friends have
one I can borrow.  Do I buy it from the store, knowing full well I might
return it?  And then what about more normal consumers.. a centralized
place would be nice.

> same mistake. Thankfully, I learned my lesson (under OS/2) so
> that when I migrated to linux, I had already formed the habit of
> *investigating* before handing over my dollars, escudos, krona,
> whatever....
>
> ... and no, I don't consider myself 'superior to you' ... just a little
> more experienced, and a "wary" shopper...

Oh, believe me, I am wary.  I used to use OS/2 too, and also Atari ST.  I
even have to watch out for "Works on linux" claims!  Sometimes it means
"works only on x86 linux on standard distros", and if it comes from
lexmark, it might mean "works just well enough that we can claim it works,
but it isn't realistic to actually use".  Also, just because there is a
kernel module for it, doesn't mean it is up to date and convenient.

> cheers,
>
> Elton ;-)

  -- noah silva