Fedora Core 1 Update: gcc-3.3.2-2

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Nov 12 21:14:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 02:44:01PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> (We're still ironing out the kinks here. Comments on the
> notification format welcome.)
>
> SRPMS/gcc-3.3.2-2.src.rpm
>  md5 sum: b593ba37ce5d077c169a838b3e1cbdfa

Hm, assuming that in the future it will show up a security update
which applies to two different core releases (it may happen because there
is supposed to be some overlap not even counting possible
FedoraLegacy annoucements) then a format currently used in RHSAs,
like this:

8ab244bee8b26454bd64c8894c 9/en/os/SRPMS/ethereal-0.9.16-0.90.1.src.rpm

gives all relevant information for a script retrieving that in one
line.  It is not always that yum, or similar, is used.  Sure, the
proposed format can be handled by scripts as well but it requires
somewhat more ingenuity.  Also "md5 sum:" string  does not really
carry any real information.  A table with fields like these

b593ba37ce5d077c169a838b3e1cbdfa SRPMS/gcc-3.3.2-2.src.rpm

and possible headings, would serve as well, be more compact and
can be fed to 'md5sum --check'.

BTW - which list(s) will carry these notifications?
redhat-watch-list too or some Fedora specific only?

   Michal