Well supported, reliable NICs for Redhat Linux/Fedora?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Mon Nov 17 21:32:45 UTC 2003

On Sunday 16 November 2003 12:36 pm, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sunday 16 November 2003 07:58, marcos colome wrote:
> > complicate our life more, it is like SATA hard drives,  I prefer SCSI
> > hard drives.

> Heh, I love comments like these.

> Show me a 250gig SCSI disk this is truly hot-swappable.  Oh wait, thats
> right, it doesn't exist.  Pitty.  Show me a 3u dual xeon server that is
> capable of 4+ TB of hot-swap SCSI storage (all in the 3u, no external
> stuff).  Oh wait, it doesn't exist.  Pitty.

Show me a 15kRPM SATA drive with the capability to truly know that the data
has hit the platter (essential for journaling filesystems and ACID compliant
databases).  Pity. :-)  One will probably be available soone enough, but by
that time the 4u 4+TB of hot swap SCSI will also be a reality.

Incidentally, ATAPI == SCSI over IDE.  Crippled SCSI over IDE at that.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology