Well supported, reliable NICs for Redhat Linux/Fedora?

Wed Nov 19 20:35:25 UTC 2003

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Alan Cox wrote:

> > AFAIK, SCSI is still the only hard drive interface that supports low level
> > new sectors, headers, gaps, etc.
>
> Most SCSI drives can't do that either. The tools needed to do it are just
> too complex to embed in the drive.

I don't think you can do only a sector at a time or something, but SCSI
contains a command to tell the drive to "low-level format itself",
that supposedly does defect checking, etc. (and takes a very long
time), which I used to use.  I never had a drive not support it, I just
later found out that it wasn't normally needed.

 -- noah silva