Fedora Core 1 Test Update: postgresql-7.3.4-10

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Tue Nov 25 20:03:36 UTC 2003

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 01:51:16PM -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:
> The gist of the proposal is to treat PostgreSQL the same way the kernel is
> treated.  That is, you don't upgrade kernels; you install the new one, and
> they coexist.  For PostgreSQL it's a little more complicated; but Oliver has
> most things right down the line.  I will post to the -devel list a proposal
> for it as soon as I have it distilled into a Fedora-ish form.

Hmm.  Kernel is special-cased in all the tools.  Everything else
that has allowed you to install multiple versions has put the new
version number or some other differentiator in the name, like the
gimp-beta or gimp2 packages.  I'd say that there would be a lot
less friction following this path for PostgreSQL as well.

But as you say, that's really a topic for -devel.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/