2.6-test10 won't boot, corrupts disk

Nathan Bryant nbryant at optonline.net
Wed Nov 26 22:23:40 UTC 2003

I tried test10 today by uncommenting arjan's repository in the up2date
sources file and running up2date. It couldn't mount the root filesystem
due to a problem with the initrd. What happens is that the adaptec
module loads fine from the initrd and scans the scsi bus, it prints a
message that it is loading the ext3 module, but mounting / fails with an
error code. So as a result pivot_root fails and it can't find init.

When I rebooted back into 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl, I discovered that /home
(which is located on /dev/hda, my first IDE disk) had at least one
corrupted directory, apparently in homedir.

My system has seen several upgrades so it isn't using fs-labels in
fstab. Don't know if that's relevant, but my initrd's work fine under
kernel 2.4. Also, after upgrading this machine to both RH9 and now FC1,
I had to enter grub commands manually to boot because it apparently
couldn't find grub.conf. This is probably because I recently added
/dev/hda and changed /dev/sda to no longer be the boot disk.
Reinstalling grub manually clears this problem up, but it would be nice
to find a way to fix my system so that anaconda won't get confused next
time I do an upgrade. And I'm wondering if this is related to the initrd
confusion, since I had the same problems when building 2.5.70 myself and
had to statically link with the adaptec driver so that I wouldn't need
an initrd.

/etc/fstab:

/dev/sda6               /                       ext3    defaults     1 1
/dev/hda1               /boot                   ext3    defaults     1 2
/dev/hda4               /home                   ext3    defaults     1 2
/dev/sda5               swap                    swap    pri=0        0 0
/dev/sda2               /f           vfat    gid=17,umask=002,noexec 0 0
/dev/hda2               /c           ntfs gid=17,umask=007,noexec,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             ext2    owner,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom   iso9660 kudzu,owner,noauto,ro 0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults     0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults     0 0
none                    /dev/pts              devpts  gid=5,mode=620 0 0
/dev/hda3               swap                    swap    pri=0        0 0
/dev/cdrom1             /mnt/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0