RH9 -> Test2 upgrade kernel issue, lilo

Fedora-Test-List fedora-test-list at hourfollowshour.org
Wed Oct 1 00:11:15 UTC 2003

Hello all.  Sorry if this has been covered already, so far in my search I
haven't found anything on it.

I recently upgrade from RH9 to Fedora test2 on my Vaio Laptop (R505TS).  I
upgraded using the boot disk / network driver disk using ISO's over NFS on
my local network.  I choose upgrade.

When I booted I looked for /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode, but it wasn't there.
I realized that my kernel that was booted was my custom RH9 2.4.22 kernel,
and not a new Fedora kernel.  My previous RH9 was running lilo so I looked
in /etc/lilo.conf, the following is shown:
prompt
timeout=50
default=Linux
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
message=/boot/message
lba32

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2061.nptl
        label=2.4.22-1.2061.n
        read-only
        append="root=LABEL=/"
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.22-1.2061.nptl.img

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-lms3
        label=Linux
        read-only
        append="root=/dev/hda5"

other=/dev/hda1
        optional
        label=DOS

Now the problem is, when I hit TAB during the boot prompt, I only see
Linux and DOS listed.  OK, that is fine, I need to run lilo as root.  I do
that and I get this message:

# lilo
Fatal: open /boot/message: No such file or directory

If I should be using GRUB how would I switch over to it (note, I haven't
read the docs on this yet just asking here incase it is a easy deal)

Any help or direction would be appreciated, thanks ...
(Please cc me on your reply as I'm in the digest mode)

Louis