numlock at boot

Paul Pianta pantz at lqt.ca
Wed Oct 1 19:40:40 UTC 2003

something that has been bugging me since i started working with linux
(but have learnt to live with it) is the fact that my numeric keypad is
not 'on' by default when i boot.

i have played around with numlock-x, and some other rc.local scripts
that will turn it on for tty's but not for X, etc. etc. - but i have had
my share of problems with each of them.

i just wanted to know if there is a technological barrier that is
preventing this feature from being introduced into 'Fedora/RedHat', or
is it because most people prefer (for some reason unbeknownst to me) to
have to manually turn on numlock everytime?

for me personally - i have never ever used the keypad keys without first
turning on numlock - therefore i don't see why it couldnt be a default
option - ie. default meaning that it is the option useful in the
majority of situations.

anyhoo - just wanted to throw the question out and see what comes back
p.s. - sorry for using 'unbeknownst' - i was feeling medieval   8)