notification area in gnome & kde

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at web.de
Thu Oct 2 15:35:44 UTC 2003

Hi there!

Some problems with the notification areas in kde and gnome panel:

1. The "famous" 1px wide RHN icon :-)
Good: On my box it works fine in both gnome & kde, since I 've chosen
kdm for login.
Bad: When I chose "Hide from Panel" in the configuration dialog the icon
is back after a login.

2. Space wasted by eggcups & pam-panel-icon
Although there's only one visible icon (RHN), there's space for 4.
pam-panel-icon and eggcups are no visible, but space is wasted. Choosing
Quit on eggcups results in an empty notification area: RHN icon is gone,
in gnome I get the message, that notification area has chrashed.
pam-panel-icon still wasting space.

I think, pam-panel-icon should be 0px, if not needed. Any ideas? How can
I at least disable it?

IMHO at least one is a bug, but I found none on bugzilla (RHN icon of
course). I'm not sure, where to look: kdebase and gnome-desktop?

Thx

Christoph
--
Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert at web.de>