Anyone working on a Feodore release for X86-64 ?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Oct 2 19:41:05 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 11:52, Justin M. Forbes wrote:
> That can be worked with.  Would the installer be easier to fix, or would
> the kernel be easier?

Well, "easier" is all in the eye of the beholder.  With a 2.4 kernel,
the installer is just going to "work".  With a 2.6 kernel, there's going
to be lots of unexpected crap to track down ;)   Of course, if I was
going to have to do all of the work, I'd do the anaconda side, but
that's just because I'm already intimately familiar with the code that's
there as well as what needs to be done (as well as how I plan to do it
when I get to needing to do it).

Another thing to keep in mind is that the 2.4.x kernel doesn't
necessarily have to have all of the features of the x86 2.4.x kernel.
Just start without any of NPTL, O(1), and exec-shield and then look at
adding them one at a time (I'd say NPTL would be the most bang for the
buck and then on from there)

Just my $0.02, though.

Also, might make sense to move this to fedora-devel-list (thus, setting
reply-to)

Jeremy