Problem with new zlib-devel-1.2.0.7-1.i386.rpm dated 09-23-2003

Sat Oct 4 23:14:32 UTC 2003

Greetings all,

Subsequent to the recent run of updates from the RHN Severn 0.94 Beta
Updates Channel, I had a problem compiling a new version of R
(http://www.r-project.org/), which is a GPL math/stats application.

After some review, with help from the R Core team, we have tracked down
the likely source of the problem to a change in /usr/include/zlib.h in
the new version.

The text which is at lines 31 and 32 of the recent version is:

#ifndef ZLIB_H
#define ZLIB_H

The prior version of the same file read:

#ifndef _ZLIB_H
#define _ZLIB_H

(Note the preceding underscores).

As a result, this breaks the code in the aforementioned application.

I searched Bugzilla and did not identify anything filed against this.

Can someone confirm that this is either a bug or an explicit change.

If the former, I will file a bug.

If the latter, can someone explain the change so I can pass it on to the
R Core folks since they will have to make a change on their end as a
result.

Thanks,

Marc Schwartz