Fedora Core Test 2 full screen issues

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sun Oct 5 06:13:17 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 00:40, Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 20:13, Jim Drabb wrote:
> > > Can anyone run mpalyer/gmplayer in full screen under 0.94 in Gnome?  It
> > > used to work fine in RH 9.  I tried to watch a DVD and an mpeg at full
> > > screen, however the panel at the top of the screen stays on top.  If I
> > > remove that panel and put it anywhere else, it works fine.  Are there
> > > any settings to make this panel NOT topmost?
> > >

> > It's just a bug, unclear if it's metacity or mplayer at fault.
>
> with other window managers (I'm back to openbox -- tired of fighting
> metacity's broken focus-follows-mouse), it doesn't have this problem

FWIW, this doesn't mean much. Essentially prior to the EWMH spec
introducing _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN, there was no defined way to do
fullscreen mode and the media players each have a different stack of
race-condition-prone broken hacks. They happen to work or not work with
different WMs. Some of the media players even contain if (wm == "foo")
type of code that hacks around specific WMs.

The new _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN feature of the EWMH spec allows things
to work in a well-defined standard way, but some kinks aren't worked out
yet.

Just an "if anyone is interested" digression, I do think this problem is
a metacity issue (which may be fixed in 2.6.2 though I'm not sure).

Havoc