Alsa probs?

Andy Green fedora at warmcat.com
Sun Oct 5 09:58:06 UTC 2003

On Sunday 05 October 2003 10:47, Alastair Porter wrote:

> > [root at localhost alsa-driver-0.9.7a]# alsamixer
> > Segmentation fault
>
> Turning off exec-shield fixes this.
> echo 0 >/proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield

Thanks Alastair, that does make the segfault go away.

> You also have to turn it off if you want to use the xmms-alsa
> plugin

That actually seems to work for me if I set
/proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield to 1 or 0, whereas alsamixer is only
happy at 0 as you say.

Thanks again for the tip.  Should I bug this do you think, or is Exec
Shield doing its job and the problem is in alsamixer?

Since Alsa is in the kernel for 2.6 I was a bit surprised that the OSS
driver was installed by default in Fedora Core Beta 2.

-Andy