Graphical boot issues: a.o. graphical boot twice slower then text

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Sun Oct 5 13:49:06 UTC 2003

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 08:37:25AM -0400, Andre Robatino wrote:

 >   Since the X display has more resolution, the graphical boot has the
 > potential to provide more information.  However, what is usually done is to
 > use the graphical boot to _hide_ information, for warmth and fuzziness.
 > This should be an option if people want it, but it would also be nice if
 > the graphical boot could be configured to display lots of info including
 > every ugly error that occurs.  I would use the graphical boot if this was
 > possible.

There's always going to be some errors that aren't easy to do in
grpahical mode. Kernel oopses, Machine check exceptions and other
'machine is in bad state' type problems. In these circumstances,
X never gets scheduled again, so any output never makes it to the
screen. In some circumstances, we can't even change VT, the box is
locked up. I'm not sure what the plan is (or even if there is one)
from the graphical boot folks other than "ctrl-alt-f1 before it
crashes and see what happens".

		Dave

--
 Dave Jones     http://www.codemonkey.org.uk