"sysfs" and the 2.6.0 kernel?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Oct 5 15:54:24 UTC 2003

>   on to the next 2.6.0 kernel-related topic, which is support for the
> "sysfs" filesystem.  this looks fairly straightforward, but first a
> general question -- is there any compelling application for this
> filesystem.  it's cute, sure, but is anyone putting it to practical use?
> just curious.

I think XFree86 will be using it for PCI device detection. No doubt all
sorts of other uses will follow, and it'll be handy in examining
hardware status as well. My understanding is that it's intended to serve
most of the functions that've been added to /proc over the years,
freeing /proc to be just for process monitoring.

Craig Ringer